Monday, June 15, 2009

Consulting the Veteran

Yesterday my mother and I ventured over to Brecksville to visit my grandfather. During my visit, I decided to see what advice and tips he could give to help cultivate my "crops". The first thing I did was ask about the midges. You see, I live in Lakewood, one street over from the lake, and those annoying little bugs are everywhere. And they've seemed to have declared my plant pots their hangout.

He told me that I have nothing to worry about from them, they won't harm the veggies. *Whew*! He then gave me advice on insecticide and plant food. When I told him of this challenge, his eyes lit up. Apparently, on the farm in Minnesota where he grew up his father (my Great Grandfather) had had a huge smokehouse the size of my living room where he would smoke whole pigs for days. He asked me about the brine and asked how I'm going to go about smoking the pork belly.

Don't worry, I said. I have ideas. ;-)

As for the vegetation progress? Well, they're not dead yet, and do not display any immediate signs of death.

For me, this is HUGE progress. Go me! *pats self on back*

More updates to come. :-)

1 comment: